Monday, February 01, 2016

Örjan Hallberg in memoriam

Örjan Hallberg in memoriam

Dear All on my mailing list,

Friday the 22nd of January, 2016, Örjan Hallberg - my closest coworker for so many years - finally lost his battle against a lymphatic cancer he had had for some time. He is enormously missed.

As you may imagine, this is very tragic and very difficult for me to grasp. Örjan was a really brilliant scientist, next to him I felt small, more as a beginner. His contributions to all of us on this mailing list, as well as for mankind as a whole, is overwhelmingly appreciated and remembered. He is one of the most important persons I have ever met.

I can never fill the gap he leaves behind, hopefully someone else can. He was a unique scientist and fellow human being with a sense of moral, ethics and fighting spirit that is rare to witness. His endless sense of fair play coupled to a dry type of humour was a warm blanket for me, and a sharp mental ice pick for civil servants and politicians having to face his right-to-the-central-point questions and comments. Most often they failed in trying to answer him, but he never gave up on them. He was sure, to the very end, that he should and could have them see the light.

May he rest in peace, for ever.


With my very best regards
Yours sincerely

Olle


(Olle Johansson, associate professor

The Experimental Dermatology Unit

Department of Neuroscience

Karolinska Institute

171 77 Stockholm

Sweden)

No comments:

Post a Comment