Sunday, June 03, 2007

Stupid Ignorant People: A Cautionary Tale

I have the same problem. People who think it is funny to wave their cell phone in my face or people who secretly leave it on to see if I really react. It happens all the time in my Chinese class. Someone will forget to turn it off - by design or not, I do not know, but I can usually detect it and will feel ill for about 20 minutes afterwards. It makes me quite nauseous and affects my ability to concentrate - also makes me wonder about ADD and ADHD. Actually, I am sure that it causes these too. And I don't need any dammed so-called "Scientific Proof" (though there is a massive pile of evidence out there). I know! I know! With my body, I know! How many people will have to suffer before the unconscious wake from their slumber?

peace

paul

On 6/3/07, ehs-sanctuary wrote:

Dear Paul,

A cautionary tale follows.

This week we had visitors, a retired couple who live in our old home town and share their home with their adult son who works for PCWorld. The home has every wifi gadget imaginable - their sons "toys". The wife of the couple has chronic lung congestion that is life threatening in its severity.She gasps for every breath. She also has a severe and prolonged cellulitis infection in her leg that is not responding to multiple antibiotic treatments. They came to stay in my area which has few masts and is known for the clear Atlantic air. I thought providence was smiling on her at last when the Tom Tom GPS system in the car broke down and remained inactive for all the time they were here.

We asked the husband not to bring his mobile in our home but to leave it in the car. After four days the woman's colour was much better - pink again instead of grey - presumably because her oxygen uptake was improved. But even more remarkable - her leg has improved dramatically and is visibly healing.

She has been a good and kind friend to me over many years. So I took her husband aside and didn't mince words. I told him to get rid of the damned wifi systems at home or by next year his wife would be dead.He protested he couldn't part his son from his toys. I spelt it out in words of one syllable and told him to grow up and look after his wife and be damned to his spoilt son and his toys. I couldnt have imagines the consequences.

A short while later he secretly brought an active mobile phone into our home and sat less than six feet from my EHS son with it. My son became very ill in minutes and sensed what was responsible. Cornered my guest looked horrified and pulled out the phone to switch it off. That causes a peak in the signal that my son finds even more painful. I made the guy take it outside. His horror was not that he had done something so mean and stupid but that his pompous arrogant theory that this was a psychosomatic complaint had been proved so obviously and quickly wrong. There was no apology except fom his horrified wife.

He made on brief visit to return some things the next day and found my son still very ill and unappreciative of his attempts to make light of what had happened with jokes only he was laughing at.The silence was icy.

What the hell do we do when even our oldest "friends" can behave in such a cruel and calculated way - and still be in denial when his wife is healing and my son is made so ill? I am so angry that she will die through this and he will live to bemoan his lot and actively refuse to believe he contributed towards her death.. How do we get through such levels of denial?

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment